June 15, 2011

Seeking Beauty in a Movie


I ♥
Bill Cunningham New York.




Bill Cunningham is the seemingly ubiquitous New York Times fashion photographer, and subject of the documentary, Bill Cunningham New York. A captivating film by Richard Press, it is tender, funny, revealing, and inspiring -- with some truly memorable characters making guest cameos.


When I lived in New York, I'd often spot Mr. Cunningham outside of Bergdorf Goodman and Barney's. Like an adult version of 'Where's Waldo', he blended easily into the crowd-- always wearing the same uniform: blue jacket; khaki pants; camera. Click, click, click. He captured fashion trends to share in his New York Times column-cum-photo diary, "On the Street".



Once, at a party he photographed my friends and me sitting on a hay bale. I took a photo of him (seen above), and offered to bring him something to eat. He responded, "Oh no child. I eat with my eyes." What a great line! He says it again at a dinner party in the movie.

But, my favorite line was from an acceptance speech in Paris. Awarded the French Ministry of Culture's knighthood of Arts and Letters, Cunningham modestly states, "He who seeks beauty will find it." So simple, so enlightening, so Bill Cunningham.


No comments:

Post a Comment